Friday, April 7, 2017

Judgments are just

So I was reading in Alma 12 today. After gaining so much respect for Moroni from reading Mormon, Ether and Moroni, it felt like the next thing I should do is go for another powerful man, so Alma felt like a good place to go. I suppose that third Nephi would be a very good place to go if you're looking for powerful, or Nephi, or Mosiah, but hey. Alma it was.

So first, I noticed that Amulek when he spoke, spoke powerfully and in depth in chapter 11 about the resurrection. If I remember right, this man only had a short period of training, yet he had a prophet's depth of understanding and wisdom. I thought about this and came to the conclusion that if you're speaking from and with the spirit, you can have two second's training. That's because it's not you that's coming up with the words.

The next thing I noticed is that in Alma 12, Alma the mentor now has to follow up one of the most powerful deliveries ever to be given in the history of earth - his student gave that in chapter 11. How do you top that?

He went to a much deeper level. While Amulek spoke about stuff that's plenty deep, Alma went to more of a spiritual level. This brings me to the scripture of the day. It's Alma 12: 15.

...and acknowledge to our everlasting shame that all his judgments are just; that he is just in all his works.

This takes me back to something that my mission president told me toward the end of my mission. It occurs to me that what he shared with me is perhaps a bit deeper than I should share with an audience that may not all be ready for deeper wisdom (this goes back to my suspicion that a gift offered, but rejected, becomes something that counts negatively against you at judgment day. Better to not have it offered if you're not ready for it).  In any case, it's clear that God's judgments are perfection - both now and in judgment day.

So we all hear stories about how every inmate in prison claims he's innocent. We see where every group around us thinks they're given the short end of life. Politicians make a career out of telling all of us that we're all being shortchanged, and they're out to make it right for us. Yet they don't make it right, because I suspect it's us that are shortchanging ourselves - and nobody can fix that but us.

In any case, the point is that we all think we're victims. We're shortchanged. We're taken advantage of, picked on, etc. It's ingrained into our brains and a part of our culture and who we are.

But. This will not be the case when we are judged. We will all acknowledge that God's judgment of us is just. No feeling shortchanged, no self justification, no "my mom/dad/uncle/ex-wife made this happen to me". Just an acceptance that we've been judged by the perfect judge.

That is some kind of event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...