Friday, March 30, 2018

Fruitful in the land of my affliction

An upcoming sunday school lesson is called "fruitful in the land of my affliction" - it's the story of Joseph, and his rise to power in Egypt. For me, it's a lesson in a few subjects: greatness and forgiveness.

It seems to me that most of us consider our titles to indicate our worth. Men are well known for doing this, but perhaps it just varies in the way it's expressed. For example, if a man can say "I'm the CEO of whateverinc.com", then people immediately give him reference and respect. Men all acknowledge that we define ourselves by our job. This of course is false, because we should be defining ourselves by who we are; not our job, our title, our power, our wealth, our race, political agenda, passions, or any other less meaningful measure.

For me, when introduced the temptation may be to say "I'm an engineer and a home inspector. I'm an entrepreneur, and love to play ultimate frisbee". While that will be an acceptable way to introduce myself to others, I believe that it shouldn't define me to myself. Instead, my own definition of me should be something more like "I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. I try daily to serve Him, to identify and develop any gifts he may have given me, and to serve Him by loving my wife, my children, my grandchildren and others who the Lord may place in my path today"

I go back to a huge award that Julie received from Doterra last year. In front of tens of thousands of people at a live event, and many more who were watching online, she received Doterra's highest award for service. This is her greatness. On that day, she was a rock star. People wanted her autograph. Lines formed to take pictures with her. She remains well remembered and respected now, but is she a greater person now than before the award? Perhaps, but it has nothing to do with having received the award. The award didn't create greatness - it acknowledged it. And if she had not received the award she would still be as great in the Lord's eyes - but perhaps not among her peers.

So the question for me is: is greatness defined by peer decision, or is it defined by the Lord? Who are we looking for confirmation from?

This goes me to Joseph. This was a great man not because he was the number two man to the Pharaoh. He was great because he was great. He was great when he was captured and sold to the egyptians. He was great when he was in the slave line being transported to egypt. He was great when he was Potiphar's house. He was great when he was in jail again. He remained great when the people whose dreams he interpreted forgot about him. He was a great man regardless of his title on any given day. Sometimes that title was slave, sometimes it was inmate, and for some time it was Pharaoh's "father" (Gen 45:8). In all cases, Joseph knew who he was, and it had nothing to do with his living conditions.

Joseph tearfully pleaded not to be sold by his brothers. This would be doubly traumatic to anyone - first that you're being ripped away from your family and sold as a slave, and second that your family would do that to you. This alone would normally finish any of us. It didn't dampen Joseph's greatness.

Joseph, through correct living and good choices, gained Potiphar's respect - and the appreciation of Potiphar's wife. He chose to follow the Lord, and had to reject her advances. And what did it net him? Who would say the Lord took care of you, when following the Lord took you away from a good life and landed you in the dungeon? For most of us, that would feel like the Lord abandoned us and cause most of us to become bitter. It didn't dampen Joseph's greatness.

Then there's the dream thing. Joseph correctly interpreted the dreams of the butcher and baker. He didn't take any credit for the interpretation - he deferred that greatness to the Lord. But what did it net him? Nothing at all - for two more years. Two more years of rotting in the dungeon. 700+ more mornings and sunsets in the same rotting sewer. If the Lord's going to let you rot there despite your best efforts, why bother? Right? Even this didn't dampen Joseph's greatness.

Joseph felt deeply the pain from being abandoned by his brothers. It's not like this was easy and he just bumped along, accepting whatever. He felt the pain deeply, but chose to follow and serve the Lord regardless. This - and not his title - is why he owned his own greatness.

Joseph's deception to his brothers wasn't a game of anger and gotcha. He had to cry (Genesis 43:30) when it became too much for him - the feelings were still very raw. But he chose to believe it was all for a higher purpose and had faith in his God - regardless of his conditions.

Inner greatness is real. Outer greatness is only a perception. May we seek inner greatness in ourselves, and in those we surround ourselves with. Finally, may we find inner greatness by serving and forgiving all. We can leave judgement and vengeance to the great judge of all. It's a better way to live happily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...