Thursday, December 5, 2019

Come Follow Me: The book of John, Love and the Peace of Christ

Most of us would like our lives to start out weak and finish strong. We'd like the end of our lives to finish with sparkles and fireworks, and we all hope that our best days are ahead of us. For example, we tend to avoid people who can only talk about how good they were in high school.

But for the prophets and apostles of Christ's era, life starts as high as high can be: hanging out with the creator of the universe? To bask in his radiance on a daily basis? To learn from him, breakfast lunch and dinner? That's pretty high. Nothing higher - nothing imaginably close.

Then, the persecution and the deaths. One can only imagine Peter, John and the others knowing the ultimate importance of the Word. Knowing that it could save the world and every soul in it, knowing that the man they loved gave His life so salvation could happen - but it wasn't happening. Instead, what few believers there were? Those people were being hurt. Dying, or defecting from the truth from the fear of being isolated, injured or killed. Imagine your daughter or son being taken away by the mob, and having to watch what they do to her, all because you still believe.

John mentioned the fear that surrounded him, but he didn't focus on that. Instead, he focused on love.

As a much younger version of me, more than a few decades ago, I was fascinated by the subject of light and truth. I learned that this is a beautiful and deep subject that went far deeper than I could ever go. The poetic beauty of this subject is not one that I feel qualified to share, so I would refer you to your own, and to the assistance of the Spirit. This is one of the things that John talked about - instead of the fear that surrounded him.

What struck me today was a paragraph in 1 John 2: 28. "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming"

As always, the words are well chosen.

I remember being a child and being told that if we thought we'd be uncomfortable having a prophet or apostle in our homes, then we might be uncomfortable living with Christ, and his prophets and apostles on the other side. The thought scared me. If a prophet came, would he let me watch my usual string of Bugs Bunny, Gilligan's Island and Hogan's Heroes? Or would they make me read the scriptures all that time?

I've grown since then - at least a little. If an apostle were to live in my home with me for a night, or a week, I'd be more ready to treat it as an opportunity. What could I learn from him in this time? How much could I gather from him before I started wearing him out? How would I know when to stop asking questions?

More importantly, one can go back to the poetry of the verse above. Imagine, as children, we abide in our God, every day, and every week. Imagine that we feel His peace, know His love and bask in his light and truth on a regular basis. If we already do that now, then why wouldn't we be excited to do it more closely with Christ when we've died? Shame will be washed away, and confidence will fill the room as we bathe in the sunlight of our Savior's love.

Credit: Greg Olsen
The answer to how to do that is also in that verse. First, we have to be like children: meek, humble, prepared to do our master's will. We must seek out and abide in his love. We can learn of his love by loving others, as described elsewhere in the scriptures. The more we love others, the more we learn of His love for us, and the more we become comfortable in His love.

The Peace of Christ is an amazing gift. One I've been struggling to obtain and keep. It's the peace that allows us to be comfortable in His presence. It's the peace that allows us to retain our center, and our happiness, when others around us are screaming. It's what allows us to stand our ground, even though we're being taunted, isolated, and having unpleasant words thrown at us. It's how we know that those who stand with us are greater than those who stand against - even though physical numbers appear to be the other way. It's the peace that we can keep when the loan is not going through, or when loved ones are struggling, or when someone we love has cancer. It's the peace that allows us hope and fulfillment of soul when the whirlwind around us is trying to take everything away.




No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...