Thursday, March 23, 2017

People who saw God

Reading Ether today - still looking for Moroni's testimony while I find so many other things.

"And Emer did execute judgment in righteousness all his days, and he begat many sons and daughters, and he begat Coriantum, and he anointed Coriantum to reign in his stead.
And after he had anointed Coriantum to reign in his stead he lived four years, and he saw peace in the land; yea, and he even saw the Son of Righteousness, and did rejoice and glory in his day; and he died in peace." Ether 9: 21-22

So it occurs to me that we often hear about the brother of Jared who saw God in the flesh, and Stephen from the bible when he saw the resurrected Christ, and there's a lot of discussion about that - most notably the brother of Jared - but here's a reference that I had never heard about. A brief mention about greatness that is like a country town - blink and you miss it.

The scriptures do that. They hide the most amazing stuff simply by mentioning it briefly, or a person speaking of it in third hand. I'm thinking about the reference where Jesus says something like "He that doeth the will of the father, in Him there is no sin", an oblique reference to me that he is testifying of himself as the Savior of the world.

So in the category of people I know of that saw God, we have Emer, the brother of Jared, Stephen, Moses and Joseph Smith. I suspect that every modern day prophet of God did as well, as they are "special witnesses" of God. Again, an oblique reference. Then we have Adam of course, and those who saw him after his resurrection - the 12 and the dude he talked to on the pathway to wherever that was. And Mary, after his resurrection.

Those are the people I can name from knowledge about who saw Christ in a condition other than his mortal life on earth. How many more are there? Maybe hundreds. Only Christ knows what that number is.

Clearly, Christ has allowed a number of us to see him. And we could spend time discussing what "see" might mean, but the point is that he allows that. Like all gifts, the gift of seeing Christ is surely available to all - we just have to take whatever steps are necessary so that Christ knows he can give us that gift. I think he must require some level of assurance that us having possession of that gift won't potentially hurt us later - due to lack of spiritual maintenance.

Once again, the parable of the talents, and to him who much is given, much is required. It beats being rebuked for burying your talents though.

3/28/17 More on this: And there were many whose faith was so exceedingly strong, even before Christ came, who could not be kept from within the veil, but truly saw with their eyes the things which they had beheld with an eye of faith, and were glad.

Same date: And then shall ye know that I have seen Jesus, and that he hath talked with me face to face, and that he told me in plain humility, even as a man teleth another in mine own language, concerning these things Ether 12:39

As always, it seems that the Lord and his prophets have a way to gently touch a subject - touching it so soft that it's easy to gloss past it. I've read this verse I don't know how many times but I never connected that Moroni was like the Brother of Jared in this way. I think we focus on the brother of Jared to show that it's possible, but this is so possible that there are many.

For as horrible as Moroni's life was: bloodshed, seeing everyone around him die, everyone wanting to kill him, being a witness to genocide of his people, continuous loneliness over his adult life, yet he saw God, and wrote powerfully about faith, hope, charity, and so many subjects, but one subject that is close to me: gifts of the spirit.

And he knows that his written word is weak, but he also knows that the Lord will strengthen his words. For me, the Lord did that through translation, and also individually to each of us to the level we're ready to receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...