Tuesday, August 1, 2017

According to their danger

So today's thought is a bit shorter than most, but I was reading a chapter I've already been through. The stuff that so captivated me last time wasn't what got me this time.

Admittedly there is a description of Moroni in Alma 48 that sounds like what I've been challenged to become. That talks about how Moroni was a strong and mighty man (there's that word and again - it would be interesting to know the difference between strong and mighty as relates to him - I do have some ideas), a man of perfect understanding (yeah - not sure what that means either or how to get that), a man who didn't delight in bloodshed, whose soul  found joy in liberty and freedom, whose heart swelled in thanks to his God, and a man who worked hard - labored - for his people. And he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ.

This sounds a lot like what I've been challenged to become. There's a sign on my wall right above my pc that says "Organize yourself; prepare every needful thing; and establish a man, even a man of prayer, a man of fasting, a man of faith, a man of learning, a man of glory, a man of order, a man of God". As I look at that list, I have a substantial distance between where I am and where those words can take me. It's a bit overwhelming, but that's why we're all here on earth, and I know that if I honestly do what I can to build myself, the Lord makes up the difference.

But what I saw in the scriptures today is in verse 15. "And this was their faith, that by so doing God would prosper them in the land, or in other words, if they were faithful in keeping the commandments of God that he would prosper them in the land; yea, warn them to flee, or to prepare for war, according to their danger".

At first blush, I gathered that a person can do everything right, and there is still a chance that God's answer is not to help you keep your home against all the odds of the overwhelming adversary. He may not slaughter millions of enemy soldiers to preserve you in your home, but he will preserve you. It's about expectations perhaps, and when we expect that the Lord will do what we expect him to do based on our own perceived faithfulness, we set us up for failure and disappointment. He will do what he chooses best - and that may not be what we think we want. I think he is much less concerned with our comfort, and more concerned with who we are and what we are becoming. Hard times can sometimes be just what we need to take that next step into our own greatness.

May we trust Him, even when the purpose for the pathway isn't clear. Even when it seems unjust, or unfair. Instead, may we just trust him, without any reference to an "even if" clause. That may be one definition of what greatness may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...