Monday, November 20, 2017

All

So if you've read a few of these blogs, you'll know that I have a pattern: I go looking for one thing, then find the gem I'm looking for in a surprise location. It's like mowing the lawn, only to find a 20 dollar bill in the grass. After doing it for this long, I come to realize that those 20 dollar bills are everywhere.

So today I was researching mysteries of God. The second reference from the topical guide is 1 Nephi 10:19. But for context, I go before and after a bit. I had apparently been here before, because there's a word  that was underlined in verse 17. Just one word. That word is "all".

It's unusual to just underline one word, so I thought I'd spend a minute to determine why I'd underlined just that word.  17 "And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all of the words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a vision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost..."

This reminds me of me. I know people with gifts that I've really admired, and I think it's fair to say I've coveted them. I know - that's wrong - but I did. I wanted those gifts.

Here's Nephi doing the same, but showing how to do it right. He didn't just listen to a small set of Lehi's words, decide that he wanted that too, and go to the Lord with a request. He did everything he could personally, then went to the Lord. He not only listened to his father, but he (Nephi) listened to all of his words. All of his words about what he saw in a vision, and all of his words that were prompted to him by the Holy Ghost. This is not an idle curiosity, this is not "hey, do that kind of fortune telling for me!", or "it's not fair! Why does he get that gift and I don't". This is a faith filled action based recipe. You want to become more like your father the prophet? That's awesome. You must follow the prophet's footsteps. You must do all you can for yourself, relying on the Lord to help you do that part right. Then you go to the Lord for the rest.

Of course, we know the end of the story. Nephi gets what he wished for - and more - from the Lord. Nephi knew that would happen, and that's were we get to my verse that I came to this chapter for. Verse 19: "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..."

I don't know why, but I feel the need to add verse 21: "Wherefore, if ye have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation, then ye are found unclean before the judgment seat of God..." I guess this applies to our motivations. If perhaps we wish to have a gift so we can get it and criticize it, or if we go through the motions to get a gift, expecting not to get it and then feel licensed to criticize God for not receiving it- well, this may be what the Lord is referring to in this scripture.

We all have gifts - many of them - that were provided to us at birth. Most of course we will be completely unaware of. Some, we may have an inkling, but feel afraid to develop them. Or maybe our TV schedule prohibits developing those gifts. Whatever the reason is, we all have gifts. None of us are giftless (I know, I make up words). And the Lord is waiting to help us add to our gifts, to grow them like plants, and add new gifts. Greatness and completion of our personal missions await. May we do so.

#LDS
#scripture
#greatness
#giftsandguides
#1Nephi10:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...