Thursday, December 21, 2017

Knowledge and humility

I hesitate a bit to write today. I've been going through the mysteries in the index, but for the last few days, I've failed to find the gems that used to be so plentiful.  The wording in the D&C is pretty legal-esque the way I read it, and I find myself being less likely to be inspired. I recognize that this is my own failing, and that others find things differently across the books of scripture.

But I did find something in Doctrine and Covenants 76:114. "But great and marvelous are the works of the Lord, and the mysteries of his kingdom which he showed unto us, which surpass all understanding in glory, and in might, and in dominion."

Let me backtrack a bit. One of the things that me and my particular personality disagree with the most are those who pronounce themselves to be the knower of all things related to whatever subject is being discussed. Some would call these people know it alls. My problem personally with them is not that they have an opinion, but that they tend to glare down or disparage anyone whose opinion doesn't reflect their own. Having an opinion is a good thing, but to state it and then be closed to any other opinions is a sign of a very small person to me.

This can come across in a variety of ways - sometimes the person presents his stuff in an academic way, using words that most cannot understand. This is one way to shut down discussion on the subject. For me, these people's goal is not to share a concept so that all can learn, it's to try to affect the perception others have for their intelligence and awesomeness. I have a great deal of trouble with this personality type.

So here we have a scripture that relates to the subject. The prophet is talking about how great and marvelous the mysteries are, and how they surpass all understanding.

The word "all" is kinda important there.

What I can gather here is that if a person indicates that he knows all there is to know about a subject, he is likely to be completely dismissed - at least by me. If he presents himself as knowing more about a subject than everyone within earshot, he had better be an expert in that subject or risk being passed off as a blowhard.

Of course, people have to give talks and lessons all the time. Many of us in the LDS community do exactly this on a weekly basis. The difference to me is the level of humility. Let's say I have studied hard on a particular subject and get myself all the way up to knowing 7% of all there is to know on that subject. I could teach children, who understand perhaps 3 or 4%. I could also teach others, who may average 8 or 9%, because I can share what I know, understanding that there may be things I know within my 7% that others at 9% still may not have met. I could even teach a class full of others at 10%, but only if I do it understanding that my role is not to lecture, but to be something of a choir director. And of course, I must do it with an ear open to the spirit, who knows 100% on the subject and can keep me within bounds on the subject.

In other words, it's about humility and seeking the best for everyone in the room. If I assume that I must be the knower of all things related to the subject at hand, I'll fail. If I recognize that others can add, and draw that out, and teach with one ear listening to the spirit, then add what I can humbly add, all can be strengthened. And at the end of the hour, all will leave the room better than they walked in.

May we all understand that our gifts don't make us better than anyone else. In fact, each gift we receive may put us under greater obligation. May we check ourselves when our actions come from an intent to build other's perception of ourselves. Instead, may we share our gifts with humility and love, focused on the needs of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...