Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Come Follow Me: It's not about "getting through"

So we joined families to do our Come Follow Me lesson for next Sunday. It was interesting what expectations we put on ourselves. For example, one member of the group complained a bit about having six chapters to "get through". We have Matthew 10-12; Mark 2, Luke 7 and Luke 11. A lot of material.

Now, for me that's not a problem because of what I've learned as I've done this blog. I was originally challenged to read the scriptures for half an hour, then write for about 10 minutes about what I learned. What it has turned into is that I read until I find something that inspires me and compels me to write. Then I consider it as I write.

Priesthood meetings are much better for me lately. Our instructions are to sit in a circle, and have the group teach each other. It will be a surprise to no-one that many heads thinking and drawing from their experience is better than one lecturer and a group of chair sitters. I just congratulated my Elder's quorum president on his presentation - he is more of a choir director than a lecturer, and it becomes very rewarding to be in those classes. This is not a new thing necessarily - the Preach My Gospel manual has stated for some time that the most important trait of a teacher is his ability to listen. 

By contrast, the teacher who feels that he or she must "get through" the lesson is probably making the lesson about themselves. That's harsh, I know, because they would say their only desire is to serve. For me, the goal is not to "get through", but to deepen our souls. To improve our understanding, to gain from each other, and from the Holy Ghost. To recharge and enlarge our spiritual batteries. In some sense, a need to cut off a discussion that is doing those things, with the intent of getting through the lesson, is counter productive.

This goes me back to the beginning of this page. She was expecting to accomplish her goal within the time allotted. I was looking for gems, and places where we could discuss and learn. One is more check-boxy. The other is less check-boxy. One is about fulfilling self-imposed expectations, and the other is about spiritual growth and depth of soul.

I believe that when our goal is to check the box, we gain less. Much less.

Home teaching was changed to ministering to avoid the box checking. The change was made to align our goals with the Lord's goals: don't just visit them once a month - serve them. Love them. See them as the Lord does. Develop a relationship with them - take them swimming, or to the park, or four-wheeling with you. It was never supposed to be about getting an appointment on the 31st each month. 

I think it's similar with lessons and scripture reading. May we not just "get through", but may we learn to love the scriptures because it deepens our relationship with Jesus Christ - no matter how many chapters or verses that may take. 

It's a new way of thinking, and a new way to be. May we not just go to the temple so we can feel good about having done it, but go to be inspired. May we not just pray so that we did it, but to report in and commune with our best friend. 

It's better that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...