Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Sometimes it's just good to know

As the title of the web page may indicate, I am fascinated with the gifts that we all receive and can receive from the Father of us all. I'm fascinated with how those are delivered, and with the angels who help us get to where we and the heavens concur that we should go.

I am quite certain that my belief set is correct, because there are scriptures I've found that back it up. One of them is in Moroni - I've referred to that one before. I was reading in Doctrine and Covenants today. I still prefer the Book of Mormon, as the reading is easier, less legal, and I feel that there are more hidden treasures in that book for me. Nonetheless, I was in Doctrine and Covenants 107 today, looking for treasure.

This chapter outlines the priesthood and the organization of the church. It can be interesting to see words and phrases that have been adopted in the church, and when you read that verse, you know it came from there.

Before I get into the main part of my thoughts, I noticed the words "in their own standing". High priests in verse 10 have a right to officiate in their own standing. Verse 11 talks about guys in their own stead. To me that's probably the same thing. If it's different, that little gem is beyond me right now.

One might discuss what that means, but I'm going another direction. Verse 19 talks about how the Melchizedek priesthood may "have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them... and to enjoy the communion and presence of God..."

How sweet that is, to have the heavens open just a little for me. To be guided by someone on the other side who is committed to my success and happiness. To enjoy the communion and presence of God. I'm sure I don't feel that like the prophets do, but I'm grateful for the slice that I get. How sweet it is that I can from time to time feel God's hand, his love, and know the gift that his guidance is. How kind to allow me to occasionally serve others with those gifts I've received, and to see the gifts of others who are also willing to give, and to help people that I love.

This is not about bragging, it's about gratitude. This scripture confirms again that there really is the gift to all that I have found so valuable in my life. I'm not unique in that way, I'm sure the same gifts are available to all. But there's a price we all have to pay, and when we pay that price, it's given to us in a way that matches our capacities.

I'm not unique in that way, but I am unique - as are we all. The Lord knows our gifts and capacities. He won't plant corn on hard rock, but he might be able to build a house on it. May we all be open to growing and being built by the Lord. May we grow willingly as desired by the Lord, and relish the thing that the Lord makes of us. If we do our side well, whatever the Lord creates it will probably be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...