Friday, January 5, 2018

Eric Clapton would have wanted to know

I remember Eric Clapton's song about one his children that had died early. It was a heartfelt, soulful song, wondering if he would know his child on the other side. If the little boy would know him, or if they would just be cloud like spirits, floating around, that were not really aware of other cloud spirits around them. His song reaches into the depths of his pain as a father who has lost his 4 year old son. "Will I know your name if I saw you in heaven; would it be the same if I saw you in heaven?"

It was while reading today that I ran into  D&C 130 verse 2: "And that same sociality which exists among us here will exist among us there, only it will be coupled with eternal glory..."

Eric would be relieved. I don't know what kind of life he really lived - a rock star's life is not known to follow the straightest of paths, and I understand that he had problems with an alcohol addiction, but none of us can guess how he will be judged. I suspect he will be judged with his gifts and capacities on one hand, and what he was able to accomplish with those gifts on the other. My suspicion is that the quality or sales volume of his music is much less important than how he used his gifts to improve the lives of others. But - that's the Lord's department.

What we do know is that he will absolutely know his child in heaven. The same love will exist, and the relationship can start with that love, then grow together. Will it be the same? Hopefully as they continue to grow their relationship, it won't be the same. It will be better. If he's done it right, as judged by the Lord and by himself, it will be coupled with a level of eternal glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

John 20 Believing without seeing

 So I'm a bit stuck. I feel like I have failed at being consistent in doing this blog. I know that nobody really reads it, and that'...